Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Obama

Jim Bogenrief
Critical Practice

Personal Reflection: Inauguration of President Barack Obama
It was 7:30 am on Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 when I was awaken by the high pitch and somewhat annoying ring of my phone. Normally, the only person who would be calling me this early would be my father, but today it was the manager of a restaurant I had recently worked at. “Jimmers!! Are you up yet? I wanted to make sure you are up and watching history in the making!” At that, without laying in bed to try to get a few more minutes of shut-eye, I was wide-awake and excited to see the dawn of a new day. The TV was on, the coffee was brewing and I was focused on the events leading up to what was possibly the most important Presidential inauguration of my lifetime.
As I sat on the couch sipping my coffee I had to prepare myself for what I was watching. If this speech was anything like any of Barack Obama’s previous addresses I was going to need a tissue. The power of his words and the conviction of his tone had never ceased to make me emotional. On this day, at this pivotal point in history, a tear was bound to fall, and it did.
The extensive series of events that lead up to the inauguration were effective in opening my eyes to the significance of this event. Watching George W. Bush walk out of the White House marked not only the end of an era of poor leadership, but more importantly the beginning of a new leadership. It was clear in the confidence of Barack’s stride that this new leadership would bring in the ideals and reality that our current nation has been thirsting for.
That confidence never faltered throughout the entirety of the event. Obama’s readiness and preparation for the position of President was evident from the beginning. He didn’t begin his speech by promising a change; he began by acknowledging the challenge that we all face with our economy. He does not point fingers; he acknowledges that we all have collectively failed to make hard choices. He states that we have entered a time to make a change, to choose a better history, and to carry forward our precious gift… and the first tear fell. He reminds us of the great country we live in, teaches us not to forget about the people throughout history who have made sacrifices to bring us to this point, and inspires us to carry on that ethic of hard work, and the strive for greatness.
President Obama has inspired me to work hard. I feel as though he has spoken to me directly and asked me to take responsibility for my role as an American. Most importantly, he has taught me the first lesson in greatness: that it must be earned. He leads by example.
Because I do not know President Obama personally, John Berger would describe this feeling of personal communication as being “seduced” by an image. The connection I feel I have made is based upon the authority figures I look up to in my own life. These people dispense advice and guidance similarly to that in which Barack did in his speech. Because of my personal experiences I feel as though I do know Barack, and that he does provide me with guidance.
Obama is an inspiration for all, he has overcome opposition and has risen to the highest and most prestigious position of power.

Visualization and Symbolism
Other than my approval of the policies that Obama plans to implement and my personal disdain for the Bush Administration, there are other factors that lead to my emotional response to the inauguration. These factors ranged from news feeds posted on Facebook, to artwork promoting Obama’s campaign, to chosen speakers at the inaugural ceremony.
The Facebook news feeds began during Obama’s campaign. The posts that stood out most were from friends of mine who shared Obama’s heritage, and therefore understood the importance of this the election on a level that I would never personally comprehend. Although, I can be taught about oppression and apartheid I will never experience the euphoria of Obama’s victory like my friend Blair, Tamara, Jason, or Mychael. Their passion was visible in the snapshots that Tamara posted while standing with Barack during his campaign, and Blair’s feeds that commended Obama’s success along the campaign trail.
Additionally, being a right brained individual I am heavily influenced by interesting artwork. This campaign brought forth so much art that it was hard not to be caught up in the underlying meaning of the red, white, and blue Shepard Fairey prints, or the home made OB-AMA posters. Television showed constant imagery of Barack, Michelle, Malia and Sasha. It became evident that this presidency meant more than the transfer of power. Barack Obama’s presidency symbolizes a new generation, hope, family, and equality, to name a few.
During the ceremony, Rev Rick Warren, Elizabeth Alexander (poet) and Aretha Franklin (singer) all symbolized the leap that we as Americans made upon electing Barack Obama for president. They all represent different aspects of the hugely important African American culture.
Now, that Barack is settling into office it is evident that people are excited about possessing a piece of history that signifies this historical event. Prints of Shepard Fairey’s artwork now hold great value, and newspapers are being purchased and preserved as collector’s items.
These various forms of visual promotion have all influenced my heightened acceptance and support for President Obama. It is because of social networking sites like Facebook that people are able to share ideas and images and further promote their thoughts concerning topics concerning this younger generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment